Best Outcome for Every Patient Every Time,
In simple terms, a nutritionist is a person who advises on matters of food and nutrition impacts on health. Based on the person’s qualification, he/she may work as nutrition scientist, public health nutritionist, dietician nutritionist, clinical nutritionist or sports nutritionist. On the other hand, a dietician mainly deals with dietetics. Regulation of diet according to the nutritional and calorific needs of the patients or clients is what a dietician takes care of. To practice as a dietician, a professional license and recognition from relevant authority/governing body is required.
Career / Job Prospects
Nutrition and Dietetics is a vital, growing field and the opportunities and possibilities in this field are endless. Diet plays a major role in promotion of health and well being of individual. A good and balanced diet habit improves the quality of life while poor diet may lead to morbidity and diseases. Nutritionists and dietetics are concerned with this aspect. While dietetics is related to food management, nutrition is related to promotion of health. Due to changes in food habits of most of the urban population, role of nutritionists and dieticians is becoming more important. They suggest corrective food habits considering various aspects of an individual such as age, work routine and sickness etc. and thereby improving their quality of life. They also educate their clients about preparation of food according to the principles of nutrition. They know about food production and processing, psychological factors influencing food choice, digestion and its effects on nutritional aspects. A growing and aging population will increase the demand for meals and nutritional counseling in nursing homes, schools, prisons, community health programmes, and home health care agencies.
- Government Sector: They can work with government hospitals, government’s health department, schools, colleges, factories and office cafeterias for planning nutritional regiment.
- Sports and Health Clubs: They can also work for sports hostels and athletes camps. Health and recreation clubs, canteen and nursing care facilities also require the services of nutritionists and dietitians. Employment opportunities are also open to them in catering department of star hotels and restaurants.
- Teaching, Research and Development: Research and development involves conducting research on various food items to ensure their quality as well as studying the effects of various types of diet on the body chemistry in labs. The research dietician or nutritionists do research on nutritive value of food which helps to understand the various components of food we eat and the right type of food which provides a balanced mix of the essentials like vitamins, minerals etc. needed for the human body. They also can opt for research career mainly in universities, public or private sector research institutes, food product manufacturing companies and hospitals. Teaching the science of nutrition of dietetics in colleges and universities is also a good option.
- Mass Media: Moreover they could find openings in the mass media where top priority is given to disseminating vital information on healthy living.
- Gyms, Slimming Centers:
- Private Consultant/ Practitioner: Experienced dietitians may become assistant, associate, or director of a dietetic department, or become self-employed. Some dietitians specialize in areas such as renal or paediatric dietetics. Besides all these they can also work as private consultant or private practitioner.
- Principles of Food and Science
- Nutrition and Diet
- Public Health and Hygiene
- Nutrition for Community
- Food Safety
- Project Work